I had a great, but extremely busy week last week, but an appointment I had on Friday afternoon stands out and I'd like to talk about it here. I met with a woman who is currently having a domestic situation and as a result, neither she nor her children currently feel safe in their home. This is a big deal to me. I know personally how helpless it can make a person feel... And I'm a 6'1" guy who knows how to handle himself. I can only imagine how much worse it must be for single mom who is newly out on her own.
She called us for the obvious reason, she wanted her family to feel safe again, and getting security system is a part of her plan for doing that. Now, it should be said here that I approach this kind of appointment differently. I'm not in a hurry to walk the property or talk about the features or price of a system. I learned a while ago that people who feel they have had the security of their homes taken away, either by a stranger or by someone they know, need to first be completely comfortable with the people and company they are working with to restore their feeling of safety. So I took the time to sit down with her and get to know her and her family, and gave her the chance to ask all of the questions about me and the company she wanted answers to.
Long story short, after a few minutes it was clear she felt comfortable with me and my company, at which point we walked through the house and designed a system to protect her and her family. When I left on Friday, the relief on her face was evident. She was clearly already feeling better about having taken control of her family's situation. Just knowing that something was going to be done about it very soon by people she felt she could trust had already given her more peace of mind. It's the kind of experience that reminds me of why I love what I do. In the end, it's about helping people feel safe in the place where they most deserve to, their home. If can you do that, at the end of the day, everything else takes care of itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment